Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tiger, guilt and grace

by Kevin Butler

ABP Senior Columnist Jim Denison, in his latest “FaithLines” column, meditates on the Tiger Woods scandal, our common human condition of sinfulness, and grace.

Some excerpts:
"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all my heart." With these now-famous words, Tiger Woods responded to the allegations of extra-marital affairs that dominated the news in the weeks before Christmas. His website posting of Dec. 2 was his first major public word on the scandal, which has engulfed his life and career. He continued: "I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family."
_______________

Denison continues by explaining that we are all sinners and that “private sin” isn’t private. Then,

Third, actions produce consequences. When we sin against God, others are always hurt. God can forgive, but the results endure. When you hammer a nail into a two-by-four, someone else can remove the nail -- but the hole remains. Sin will always take you further than you wanted to go, keep you longer than you wanted to stay, and cost you more than you wanted to pay. Always.
_______________

Denison concludes by including several important Biblical references that explain how grace triumphs over guilt.

For the complete commentary, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home